Sunday, July 18, 2010

A Few Things We Did

This....


is what a Chicago Polish looks like. Looks gross to me, but evidently it's quite a delicacy to the Grundberg brothers. We met up one afternoon at a famous little joint named "Dear Franks" in Deerfield, IL, where their double fried polish sausages are (supposedly) delicious, if not a tad notorious for causing heart failure (i.e. "Da Bears" guys from Saturday Night Live).


Steven and Phil raved on and on about the cheese sauce for the fries.

I got a lecture about how much better it was than just plain ole velveeta, and our nephew Nate almost lost a finger when he wanted to share with Phil. Anyway, I felt that it was definitely a quintessential "Chicago" experience.

We also stopped by the Jelly Belly factory in Pleasant Prairie, Wisconsin. I've never been a huge fan of jelly beans, but going on the factory tour definitely had its draw.


They even gave us a little sample bag at the end of the tour. It was pretty fun tasting them one by one and trying to figure out the flavor. I found myself craving the buttered popcorn ones like crazy.



Anyway, I've decided I have to report on our vacation in little spurts, otherwise I'll just throw up my hands and give up. Yup, little spurts it is---kinda like how I approach housework of any kind (which explains a lot).

3 comments:

Unknown said...

buttered popcorn is one of my favorite Jellybelly flavors! glad I'm not the only one who likes it. . . but I usually combo that with the coffee flavor and that is totally gross, but yummy. BTW-- you are looking super fit and tan on this vacation, lady! [insert slightly obnoxious sexy whistle].

PS I love Steve Jr.'s "stance" in the last pictures :)

Bonnie said...

Umm, I'm with you Jenny, that Polish Sausage looks disgusting. But the Jelly Belly tour looks like fun. I like the buttered popcorn jelly beans too, and I don't like jelly beans or popcorn - go figure!

Jenni said...

One of the reasons that I love you so much is because you validate me! I hate housework and practically have to have my mom come over and keep me company to clean my bathroom. Jelly beans = good! That hot dog thing = not so much!