I am an extremely irresponsible person. Besides you’re all-around laziness, I also tend to be an extraordinary procrastinator. About 2 months ago, I got a ticket for having an unregistered car—unregistered because it hadn’t passed a recent inspection. THIS WEEK, we finally took the car in to get it fixed enough to pass inspection.
Because of this, the boys and I drove Steven to work this morning in his car. (sidenote---I hate Steven’s Idiot Car---from its ridiculously loud engine to it stupid 2-door entry---I hate it). Anyway, I tend to get a tad loopy when I’m up 2 hours early and its cold outside and I’m 7 months pregnant. Loopy enough, apparently, to forget to turn off the headlights when we got home and completely run down the battery.
So while I WAS feeling rather pleased with myself for getting the kids wrassled and ready to go to the gym by 9am this morning, I was less than proud to realize my earlier loopiness had most likely made us housebound for the rest of the day. But miraculously, after a few distressed phone calls and one last desperate attempt, it started.
Unfortunately, this was not the end of the Idiot Car’s troubles. While we were driving to a lunch date with a friend, the clutch suddenly crapped out---fully and totally. I couldn’t shift the gears. I tried my best to cruise into an empty parking spot somewhere and finally glided into a Quizno’s (parking lot, not the building, thankfully). I ended up having to call AAA and get a tow (which took 45 minutes to arrive).
Lucky for me, my wonderful friend saved me. She not only offered to come and pick me and the fellas up, but to wait with me until the tow truck arrived. All this with her own 2 kids and one more besides in the backseat. She even took it upon herself to belt in the car seats in order to save me the embarrassment of getting my tent-like self wedged between the seats.
So while it was initially a very irritating and upsetting incident, it gave me a great excuse spend a little time with a great gal. I went from feeling like I was going to cry and pull my hair out to feeling completely calm and laughing my butt off.
Thank goodness for good friends.
Oh, and I hate that Idiot Car.
6 comments:
I'm so glad you got rescued.
P.S. How did Steven get home?
Fortunately, the car repair place is within walking distance of his van-pool dropoff. He ended up picking up my car and leaving his (since mine was drivable). Phew!
This has me smiling from ear to ear. :)
Glad there was a safe and happy ending to this adventure.
Might we add that this same person was taking the extra kid in the back seat so that another mom could have some time to pamper herself? Yes- the kind of girl she is. Sorry you had such a downer morning!
I have bad luck getting trapped by my cars. I'm glad that things worked out well for you!
Post a Comment