Tuesday, August 18, 2009

The Grundbergs Go to the Grand Canyon!

The really nice thing about this whole trip was that after the festivities of Jenny's wedding, we were able to take a little vacation with our favorite people in the world, Phil and Jessica. Steven and Phil are only two years apart, and they grew up very close. They're absolutely hilarious (if a bit salty) when together, and Jessica is one of the most lovable people on the planet.

We decided to stay over in Flagstaff, AZ (which is only about a 2 hour drive from Mesa) and visit the all surrounding tourist sites--mainly the Grand Canyon. I'd never been to the G.C. before, so I was very excited! We were able to find adjoining hotel rooms, which was nice because we could bed the kids down in our room, and then have a hilarious time watching "Flight of the Conchords" in Phil and Jess's room.

Well, the Grand Canyon was...Grand. Truly amazing--just absolutely awe-inspiring.

And nerve-wracking. I just knew my kids were going to fling themselves over the edge at any moment--(due to their incredible, and sometimes idiotic, bravery). You can just see Stevie thinking it over in this picture...

I admit that I spent most of the time clutching frantically onto David--so while it may look like I'm posing for a casual happy-go-lucky picture with my son, I'm probably actually cutting off his circulation.

The guys, of course, thought I was being ridiculous (which I was) and taunted me by taking the boys on the most precarious cliffs ever. Which, admittedly, the boys loved. Who wouldn't love being that close to such an amazing view?

This is our official "Grundbergs Go to the Grand Canyon" picture for posterity. But I can't help but notice that Steven and I enthralled by some object in the distance (squirrel?) while one of the seven wonders of the world lies majestically behind us.

Here's Phil and Jessica's--but Phil (of course) is sportin' his "rock on" pose (along with tie-dye shirt and what is supposed to be a cowboy hat--but looked more like an Amish one).

It was amazing how many different languages we heard while out there--Steve said it was like walking around in the Olympic village.

We did lots of hiking and looking and bonding with nature and all that stuff. Unfortunately I started feeling a bit crummy midway through (darn hormones) and became rather listless. And though it was an amazing experience (and sort of a rite of passage, I think), I think David's shirt describes how we felt at the end of the day.

6 comments:

Simply Sarah *K* said...

I want to go to the Grand Canyon so bad! We lived SO close to it for so many years and never made it there. Buuuut. I understand your anxiety...I have visions of the girls jumping from the cliffs!
I love Phil's Grateful Dead shirt! ROCK ON, dude!

Carly said...

I love the pictures! Jenny the cliffs would scare me to death too with little kids!!

~Darcy~ said...

We went when we lived in AZ, we took our neighbors 2 yr old and I was SOOO afraid of her falling over. I felt very sick about half way through our visit too, I think it may be all the looking down and out that makes you that way too. Although prego hormones may have something to do with it too!!
Glad you guys had fun!!

Julie{isCocoandCocoa} said...

We went to the Grand Canyon a couple years ago and it was beautiful! But I did have the same anxious clutching to my children so they don't jump over the edge worries. Josh went close to the edge but I kept the boys and myself away.

Jenni said...

I've never been but it is probably one of the places Derek and I will go in several years when our nest is all empty.

Sherry said...

I was never afraid of heights until I had children, and you are far braver than I; I would never go to the Grand Canyon with little people. In fact, last year when Julie and Josh went, I prayed A LOT that they boys (and their parents) would be safe. I was very relieved when they were back home. So, now that all mine are out of the house, I'll probably go see the canyon, but I'm too wimpy to do it with kids.....