David decided he wanted a Ninjago-themed party this year. Unfortunately, there's practically nothing out there on the market yet because it's such a new phenomenon. Luckily, Pinterest provided me with some great ideas (I bless and curse you simultaneously, Pinterest!) It was also the first party where I let him completely choose his own guest list, which was a little sad for me. I get much more excited about a party when I can just invite all of my friends. Oh well, so it begins, I suppose.
I was able to do this party for next to no dollars thanks to already having most of the supplies on hand. It did, however, take a little more time than I've spent in the past. Decorations were streamers and these adorable little Chinese lanterns (see tutorial here--she is amazing and I got most of my ideas from her) with Ninjago angry eyes added to them.
I also made a simple banner from red and black cardstock, yarn and computer printouts using my Bonzai font. (My husband was spectacularly uninterested in any of the details of making the decorations, so of course I had to brag a little here---my only recourse).
I made headbands for all the kiddos using an old white sheet and some leftover transfer paper with red circles and the Japanese symbols for 'ninja' printed on them. And yes, I actually SEWED them! Me! Sewed! Until my sewing machine realized what was going on and refused to work anymore. Regardless, they came out really cute and the kids loved them!
| David insisted his be blue instead of red. |
The pinnacle of the party was truly when Sensei Wu came to instruct all the ninja trainees. (My husband is such a champ. I made him a hat, but completely dropped the ball on the white beard. He improvised, as you can see. I almost wet my pants when I first saw him).
| Yes, that's shaving cream. |
Afterwards, the ninjas-in-training were put through an obstacle course, which consisted of crawling under a gate, balancing on a beam, jumping some noodle hurdles, stepping through a string maze, running through some agility cones and finally crawling under the balloon table. They loved it and it was practically free!
The ninjas were finally ready, just in time, too. Inside the house, skeleton warriors had already invaded.
The boys made short work of them (seriously, it got kind of Lord-of-the-flies-ish in there. Just look at David's face! I was glad I wasn't a balloon).
Finally, refreshments! Steven tried to teach the boys how to eat their pizza rolls with chopsticks. Many just resorted to stabbing it with the sticks and then eating it like a kabob.
Our cupcakes were supposed to resemble a white ninjago ninja. Unfortunately, I still 'take the cake' (if you will) for world's worst cake decorator (thank you...thank you very much).
At least it tasted good. David had a great time opening his presents. (As you can tell by his face).
Such a fun time. It was outrageously loud the entire time, and many times several children came close to breaking limbs, but we had a great time. David looked sad after it was all over and said, "Mom, can't my party be longer next year?" Seriously, kid? 2 hours with 11 little boys is probably the limit to anyone's sanity.
But honestly...I'd do it again.

3 comments:
Happy birthday, David! What an awesome party, Jenny! Steven looks hilarious- I wish I was there to hear the accent :(
That's awesome! What a stellar party.
Good Job! The boys had a great time and are still wearing their ninja headbands!
Post a Comment