Friday, July 8, 2011

Fishies

My boys have officially started swimming!


A few weeks ago, our friends visited us at the pool. They have a 3 year old, and after my guys saw him fearlessly jump off the diving board into the deep end, they were shamed into giving it a whirl. As you can see, they've got it down.


My friend is actually a swim instructor. When they got panicky, she would just say (in the calmest of voices), "Keep your head down!" and then PUSH there heads under the water. It was apparently exactly what they needed, because by the end of the day, they were both swimming fiends!



They actually worry me a little with their diving board antics. Stevie has taken to doing front flips off the diving board, which means that of course David wants to as well. There's just something very scary about my little 4 year old hurling himself head first into the water! He's even tried diving, and managed a magnificent belly flop in this picture.


So needless to say we're spending an alarming amount of time at the pool this summer. Jacob's not as huge of a fan as the rest of us, but he will submit to being dunked under the water and "swimming" to Daddy. We're all getting crazily tanned and we come home incredibly exhausted (also good). It's a great way to pass an 100 degree day.

3 comments:

Jenni said...

I'm soooo jealous. Between school and work I think I have been in the pool about 30 minutes so far this summer.
When I was a kid, my favorite thing is that my dad would take us to the city pool when he came home from work in the evenings. Great memories you are building with your kids!

Miranda said...

So...I'm officially shamed as well. I've been spending all sorts of time at the neighborhood pool with my 4 year old and 2 year old and they are not even CLOSE to swimming like that! Does this friend ever make it down to Arlington??? :)

Bonnie said...

That looks like tons of fun. My kids aren't swimming yet, but I'm usually by myself, and I'm afraid to go to the pool with three. My youngest runs off and tries to jump in the big pool any time I look at one of the other kids. Your boys look like naturals.