Sometimes I would just like to yell at some imaginary adversary…
“Look, YOU just don’t understand. SHE wasn’t like your mother. WE were different. There was no hidden rivalry, no insecurity, and definitely no pretense of affection. It was wonderful companionship, understanding and pure love. We were kindred spirits. Best friends. We spent all of our time together. She was my right arm. She was helping me raise my children.
I remember reading a poem and writing it down in July. It went like this:
A shadow flits before me,
Not thou, but like to thee:
Ah Christ, that it were possible
For one short hour to see
The souls we loved, that they might tell us
What and where they be.
But the broad light glares and beats,
And the shadow flits and fleets
And will not let me be;
And I loathe the squares and streets,
And the faces that one meets,
Hearts with no love for me:
Always I long to creep
Into some still cavern deep,
There to weep, and weep, and weep
My whole soul out to thee.
-Alfred, Lord Tennyson “Maude”
And no one, NOT ANYONE can possible love you like your mom. No one else has as much invested in your personal happiness and success, regardless of compensation, as your mother. No one in the world has any reason to care about what I do nowadays. Goodness knows, though I love him so much and I know he loves me, my patient husband does everything he can just to circumvent my constant emotional meltdowns.
So why does it matter? Who am I looking to for a pat on the back? Was I really THAT dependent on Mom for encouragement? Yes.
I was having a hard time being a stay-at-home mom. I felt not only like a crappy mother, but useless because of it. My mother was my own personal cheerleader, assuring me that my decision to be at home was right, and encouraging my stupid little happy homemaker activities. Now it all seems so frivolous and inconsequential. And all those feelings of crappy mothering keep hammering me over the head.
And it was so nice to have someone else (besides my husband) who wanted to talk about MY kids as much as I did, and who loved them so much and were so interested in their every milestone. The topic never got old. There is no replacing that.
No grandmothers. My mom’s dead, Steve’s mom’s dead. Just like how I grew up. And I was so excited for my kids to have that stereotypical grandmother who spoils you rotten and who always takes your side, etc., etc. Because she was that grandmother, and my kids were crazy about here. Sometimes Stevie will ask me “Mama, where’s grandma? I miss her.” And I won’t be able to talk through the tears.
It’s a certain way of thinking. Those of you with sisters know the difference between a sister and a friend. Sometimes you may even like your friends more, but your sister knows you and can communicate with you so easily. I guess it’s a little like that. My mother saw threw me and would politely point out my inconsistencies. Sure, I might get mad, but I knew she was right.
My role is just different now. I can’t be the taker anymore. I have to learn how to be the giver, like she was. I have to somehow morph from being the trainee to the being the mentor. I don’t know if I can bear it, but I have to. I really think it might be a part of what I’m supposed to be learning.
9 comments:
Oh, Jenny, my heart aches for you. I couldn't possibly understand what you are going through, for many many reasons. I know there's not really anything I can say, but just so you know, I'm quite sure you are not a crappy mother. And if you ever want to hash anything out, I'm always here.
Jenny, I love you.
I really do appreciate your efforts. I see how hard you work and all the lovely things you accomplish. I can't imagine what you are going through but let it out! Try to accept people's love and even ignorance.
Hopefully, I'll see you on Tuesday, staying for dylan's party?
What an amazing honor to your Mom. I think she must be so proud of her life and of you after reading that blog! That is truly what it is all about isn't it? Everything else is just life-filler-crap. Relationships. You learned from the best and your kids will experience Cindy's love through you, even without her physical presence. And, you know how to harvest that kind of amazing relationship with your children. I love you, and wish we were neighbors! Thanks for reminding me of what is really important (I forget daily)...
XOXOX
J
I just feel like I have to comment even though I know anything I write will sound stupid. But just know that there are a bunch of us that can be there for you if you EVER need it. I can't image what you are going through but you have to know we are there for you. A call from a friend, even one you may not know that well yet is always a wonderful, wonderful treat. We love you and your bright spirit and sweet ways!
Well I didn't read the post you put up first and was going to say something caddy like "why am I just now finding out about this blog?" but then I actually read it and felt sheepish.
Jenny, I can't say I know exactly what you're going through, but I lost my dad at a very pivotal time in my life and couldn't read yours without tearing up. It's never the same to lose your dad as it would be to lose your mom, especially as a girl. But it took me a long time to really understand why things happened the way they did and take the strength I and my family gained from it all and use it to move on and improve my life. Just think about the fact that you have a cheerleader in a much better place now and even though she's not here, she knows what you're doing, your thoughts and your hopes and fears now more than she may have here. I think of my dad in hard times and wonder how he would want me to handle it and it gives me hope that he is up there cheering me on.
Sorry this was long, couldn't help it. We all love you Jenny!
My thoughts and love are with you. Thank you for sharing with us!
First of all, I just want to say thank you to all of you. There are things that you can't say out loud because they're never really appropriate, and it feels so good to have them heard and understood. Secondly, let me apologize to you (esp. Missy!!) if you didn't if I don't have you added as a reader...I'm not sure how to do that...or to add friends or anything like that. I welcome HTML lessons, by the way! I'm clueless.
I love you, Jenny! And I'm crying. I've been avoiding commenting on this post because there isn't anything that I can say that really fits how I feel. I was so happy that you guys held a New Years Eve party this year. It felt good to carry on a tradition from your Mom. I hope that you enjoyed it, too, and that it's something that we continue doing together. You should already know this, but in case you need a reminder, call me anytime. We all need as many cheerleaders as we can get. (Did you ever hear the story about the "balcony people"?)
I was so excited to see you blogging. You'll be in my prayers.
Post a Comment